Cascadia Center for Arts & Crafts teaches the traditional crafts used during the WPA Era and in the construction of Timberline Lodge, as well as contemporary classes & workshops. Some of the renovations on the Summit Campus will also be presented as workshops in small milling of timber, rock work and other trades.
Studio spaces include a 4 forge, blacksmithing shop located in one of the historic buildings of the Summit Campus; The original Raven Studio building with glass studio, large overhead ventilation system, 2 large kilns, 2 smaller annealing kilns and 4 minor burners for torch work. The Raven Studio has upper painting/ drawing and multi use space, as well as The Trillium Studios’ large flat screen for Digital Photography and class slide shows.
The natural scenic beauty of Mount Hood is a constant inspiration for both instructors and students. Cascadia Center completes a circle of regional art centers located throughout the State of Oregon, showcasing the Cascade Mountain Environment and beautiful Mount Hood. Our project respects the environment, history and traditions of WPA Crafts and Cascadian Architecture.
Learn a traditional craft used in the construction of Timberline Lodge, interpret the beauty of the mountain in painting, drawing, fiber arts and photography. Come visit Mount Hood in a new creative way. The Village of Government Camp is located in Clackamas County, Oregon
The Village of Government Camp is centrally located in the middle of some of the most accessible and beautiful scenery on Mount Hood. A major trailhead to Trillium Lake and other trails is located on the Summit Campus of the Cascadia Center.
Students have the option of bringing family and friends along with them on their art adventure to Mount Hood. There are many options for lodging, dining & outdoor fun for those in your group who choose not to take a class or workshop.
Historic Timberline Lodge, built in the WPA Era is a masterpiece with iron work, paintings, wood carving, fiber arts & glass work, as well as the most famous example of Cascadian Architecture specific to the region.
The road to the Arts Cabins is plowed throughout the winter, making the winter environment easily studied from a warm studio. Bus service is available to Government Camp from Portland, Gresham and Sandy, or any of the lower Mountain Villages 7 days a week. http://www.mthoodexpress.com/
The Village of Government Camp is located off a major highway that is plowed throughout the winter season. The village is host to international ski and snowboarding camps during the summer, and all winter sports during the winter.
The Story of The Cascadia Studios
Many years ago, slightly East of The Village of Government Camp was the site for the Mt. Hood National Forest, Summit District Ranger Station. On a small crest between Still Creek and Camp Creek is the ‘Summit Campus’ located in the Historic Summit Ranger Station; also known as the Summit Compound, and the Summit Guard Station. The elevation is approximately 4,000 feet. The site is directly next to the Barlow Road section of The Oregon Trail. The road primarily followed native trials across the Cascades and was first cleared and used in 1845 by Sam Barlow. A trace of that road is still used as a popular hiking, Mountain biking, and cross country ski trail. Forest Service administrative functions located at Summit Meadow were relocated to this area in the 1930’s, to be on the Mt. Hood Loop Highway, and near the Timberline Road construction in 1930.
The Forest Service had identified a site in 1932 beyond the end of the Timberline Road for a proposed ‘mountain chalet’ that would become the Historic National Landmark we know today as Timberline Lodge. Construction of the lodge was approved as a Works Progress Administration project in 1935.
Construction began in 1936 and the Mt Hood Forest Supervisor offered the largest residence in the newly constructed Summit Station to Tim Turner, Forest Service supervising architect on the Timberline Lodge project. Cascadia Center will use this Cascadian design, South Cabin, for a personal artist residence. Again being used for creative endevours in the Mount Hood National Forest
The feel of the forest and the WPA Era is still within these walls. CCAC will need to begin restoration work as soon as funding allows avoiding further deterioration from the severe weather at this elevation.
This structure, as well as the others in the Summit Compound needs our attention to give them new purpose for arts studios. The old ‘garage’ has been lovingly cleaned of debris and benches designed that do not alter the historic integrity of the building. This is the new Blacksmith Shop for CCAC. Our Director of Blacksmithing, Darryl Nelson has spent many hours planning and working to see this project completed. With the final work on this building this summer of 2014, CCAC will have four double forges for teaching the craft to students from all over the nation and internationally. Darryl also brings the Western States Blacksmithing Conference to Mt. Hood when scheduling allows, bringing over 450 blacksmiths and their families to this area. In years when the conference is not held, Darryl presents Blacksmith Week in the summer month of either August or September.
CCAC’s two original cabins off the Timberline Road on Forest Service Road 530 were our first to be held under Special Use Permit through the Mt Hood National Forest. This was eight years ago, and the work continues to restore these buildings to give them new life as art and craft studio spaces open to the public for workshops and classes. The Raven Studio, built in 1960 and used as a personal residence for higher ranking Forest Service personnel was built with straight grain Douglas Fir, and is set in a location that honors the environment of the Cascade Mountains. Wildlife and natural vegetation inspire all who visit the studio. The Raven Studio houses the CCAC Glass Studio, and a small multi use/meeting area upstairs, as well as lodging for instructors.
The second of the original structures is the Trillium Studio, built in 1957, it is the first built of the two Forest Service cabins located off the Timberline Lodge Road. Trillium Studio is basically the same design, set in a picturesque clearing at the bottom of the Wy’East Road which was the original road to Timberline built in the WPA Era. Culverts and drainage areas on this road were constructed in the same manner, using the same rock used in the foundation of the lodge. Many artists and writers are instantly inspired on a walk up this road.
These structures are valued by those who come to learn, enjoy the Cascade Environment surrounding them and reflect on the history and architecture of this region. It is very important that we remember the history and restore these buildings for use by the generations to come. These areas and the buildings that remain deserve a new life. Please consider helping our organization create new history on these grounds; new works of art and literary works inspired by Mount Hood and its environment. This is the ultimate ‘recycling’ of government buildings for use by the public, to be shared for generations.
A new life as the Cascadia Center for Arts & Crafts.
Cascadia Center for Arts & Crafts Classes & Workshops.